Tuesday, August 30, 2016

All praises to Nurgle, our grandfather of plagues, here are the Blight Kings

I have been meaning to build a chaos army for quite some time now. Having grown up with the Realm of Chaos books I know nothing offers quite as much opportunities for wild conversions and interesting riotous units.

What has delayed me for all this time was an inability to decide on my chosen power to worship. I have a few older metal models for Khorne, Slaanesh, Nurgle and Tzeentch. And as a temporary fix I painted up an old school pantheon a few years back:

The great four powers of Chaos band together to destroy La Maisontaal

But now with Age of Sigmar it has become as easy as in 3rd ed. Warhammer to put nice models of your choice on the table. That helped me decide how to approach chaos in the realms: I'm going to build different warbands that I can use individually or as part of a larger army. As I have quite a lot of Nurgle ready bits I decided to start with the grandfather. That it gave me an excuse to build the Blight Kings unit helped the choice a lot. So without further ado my Blight Kings as constructed right now (or view the painted guys here):

Here are my Blight Kings all together but still lacking paint.
The banner bearer has gotten extra attention because I like to semi-freehand designs on them and make them bigger than the norm is right now. Apologies for the rather poor photographs, I accidentally gave my phone a flying lesson and it is at the shop for repairs. I tricked out this banner with the scythe bit and a shield from the Blight Kings set. The crossbar is made from 1mm plastic rod with some greenstuff added to match it with the rest of the bannerpole. The chain is always a nice detail and came out of the bits box.

Not added the banner itself.


Rearview of my banner bearer with some random other paints and bits strewn arond.
Having build five Blight Kings with the kit I have to admit that I now want two or three extra Blight Kings kits. There are so many options, and even more ways to convert the warriors. As an extra kit is not yet in the future planning I decided I did need the huge axe that you can use instead of the bell (the units musician). A bit of cutting and some green stuff added and I had it:

I don't just want any kind of axe, Give me the biggest one!
Another detail I should mention is that I cut of and flattened all horns on the helmets. It does not feel right to me that the lost and damned, who spend their lives fighting, would make the mistake of giving their opponent a handle to pull at their heads. Therefore the only horns in my Chaos army will be ones that seem to be mutated onto the heads of my champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment