Monday, May 20, 2019

Preparing metal miniatures for paint

This weekend I completed a set of ten classic Plaguebearer models using (and adding to) the new contrast technique I picked up on the airbrush course last week. The trick to really make Nurgle models pop is adding yellow, purples and reds to the green skin. As the models themselves are metal I thought it would be a fun idea to write a quick tutorial on the proper preparation of metal models for paint. At least my take on it. 

Plaguebearers, now with added contrast!

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Airbrush workshop weekend: taking it up to 11

Over the course of this weekend I partook in an Airbrush Workshop organized by our local pro-painter Scar's Miniature Madness. The subject of the workshop was infantry and we were asked to bring three Primaris Space Marines, one preferably with a plasma gun. At last I had an excuse to apply glue to Imperial side of the Dark Imperium sprues, Me being me, I brought five Primaris Marines all holding a plasma gun. I also decided to go for a quick practice round at home, painting (basic layers on) five Bolter wielding Primaris marines.

After these modern art master pieces I packed up and went home, there was nothing left for me to learn...

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Nurgle Plague Toads bring a greeting from grandpa

After a short hobby hiatus (work, birthday, family) I thought it was high time to pick up the (air-)brush again and get painting. Aside from the (not quite unimportant) fact that its a lot of fun, I have signed up for an airbrush workshop this weekend so I needed to get the proverbial rust of my painting hands before making a fool of myself there*. After completing a bunch of Gaslands cars I have started working on Skaven and the Blackstone Fortress set. With that in mind, and to keep my distraction levels optimal, I decided to root out these Plague Toads from the lead/plastic/resin pile.

* Now I can make a fool of myself with rust free hands! 

Look at those charming fellows hop!