Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Lord Slimegulp, Tyrant of the Wastes, Daemon Price of Nurgle (and some friends)

The second model for my Nurgle warband will be Lord Slimegulp the self-proclaimed Tyrant of the Wastes. He is a Daemon Price of Nurgle that I'm building out of bits and a second hand plastic daemon prince I bought as part of one of those 'I quit the hobby' lots. The front of the model has been build by cutting leftover bits from the cannibalized Maggot Lord set I used for the Nurgle Realmgate earlier this year.

Lord Simegulp always gets a close-up view of the meals he's chewing on. I bet they never mentioned that possibility in the Join a Merry Nurgle Warband recruitment flyers.
Go ahead make fun of my tiny wings, my wroth will be legendary!
I did not like the standard Daemon Prince wings for this particular conversion as I really want him to stand out from fellow princes on the battlefield. I ended up using a pair of 40K CSM mutant upgrade wings by cutting out the power pack they sprung from. I cut all crossguards of the blade (as it was to techie-looking and replaced it with some green stuff creepers. I also cut all cables of the left handed 'power fist' and ended up closing the last of the air vents with a secret Nurgle recipe (mixing PVA with superglue). I used a head and a nurgling sprouting body from the Blight Kings set and added a streamer of flies from the maggot lord.

Last, but certainly not least is building the bases. I tend to glue my models to a temporary base for handling while painting (usually when I'm to lazy to pin them to corks). The final base I build seperately. Here is a work in progress shot of the base for the Daemon Prince (and the bases for the Blight kings. I used a but from the Shattered Realms basing set to add some detail.

Almost all bases start out the same: with sand, PVA and plastic.
For extra character and decoration I'm planning to use mushrooms on the bases. There are some large ones in the basing kit. As I had more green stuff than needed I could sculpt a few more to glue on later.

Green stuff mushrooms, not for human consumption.
As the late and great Bob Ross might say 'Maybe Lord Slimegulp has a couple of friends'. Why thanks Bob, let's get to them. I had these to metal models around and have started the paint job already.

Ebolax the Great, Sorcerer of Nurgle and Virulex the Septuply Cursed, champion of  Nurgle.
I've glued Ebolax to the 32 mm base he's going to end up on as this model almost fully covers his base. I still have to search my shed for his familiar though. Virulex gets a separate base that is almost done (except for the raven as I can't decide between a white or a black variant of the bird).

Once upon a midnight dreary....
Last but not least is this addition in progress:

The base needs a little more work, the abomination will take a lot more paint before it's done. 
This Skaven Hell Pit Abomination will probably see most action with a lot of my other Skaven backing it up, but I will also use it next to my Nurgle warband. After all both are part of the Chaos Alliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment