- Make sure the angle between two walls is 90 degrees before cutting the lot, 100+ degree angles lead to very strange geometry (unusable buildings unless you're a great old one).
- Put the texture on the walls before cutting the 90 degree corners, <1 mm polystyrene is not known as 'the strongest material in the world' for a reason.
- Don't glue with PVA glue, it dries way too slow, use transparant 'everything' glue (just as with foamboard).
- Don't push cocktail sticks in neatly cut polystyrene buildings, it makes the walls crack.
- Check your supply of 1mm cardboard, you may have just used all of it to make tiles for Armageddon buildings...
So there was a bit of a learning curve here. In the end my first building is standing (almost fully) primed and ready for paint.
|Front side of Das Bierlager, I wonder what the top floor is used for...|
|Perhaps the Dwarf in charge of the hall sleeps here, but what self respecting Dwarf would deign to sleep high above ground when there is a cellar available.|
|Top left, proof of the existence of said cellar.|
|Considering a huge bunch of fat, bearded guys drinking beer and eating garlic sausage all day, having a big window shaped hole in the top of a beer hall might actually do the air quality a great deal of good.|
|Walls for Das Bierlager, the final cut (that actually fit).|
|Ready to cut some angles in (and also to show of that I've not quite mastered the art of pressing a texture into polystyrene.|
|Adding shingles is a great test of ones sanity. Low quality television playing in the background is a must.|
While I was busy slapping myself on the back for a job almost completed I suddenly remembered I had to make a top floor for this building. I decided on cardboard and in my rush to create something suitable forgot all the basic rules of working with cardboard (leave a strip for glueing and try to make the entire shape out of one piece that folds together). Luckily I'm rather used to my own foolish mistakes.
|Adding the top floor while forgetting all the basics about working with cardboard.|
|Not shown: needles holding the top floor in place.|
|Dressing it up tends to work wonders on making it look slightly more believable.|
|I later added a door, as with many other parts of this project, I forgot to take pictures.|
|A bit decadent: using green stuff to cover a terrain base.|
|The original building had a back door here. I liked the look of a wall better. I also suspect dwarves would have a back door in the basement.|
|The start of two abandoned mine shafts. I'm already tallying up the first mistakes I made on this project, but I still suspect it will look ok when finished.|