Tuesday, March 12, 2019

A fresh Warplock Bombardier and yet another Warpfire Thrower added to my horde

My brand new Warplock Bombardier, currently part of the Carrion Empire set, has been covered in paint and is ready to go through the scenario's that come with the box later this week. I have to admit I'm not very impressed with its special abilities (on paper) but the sculpt is cool enough to compensate for it. Just look at the little maniac cackling!

Also making a debut: photo backdrop 2.0.

Between a quick trip (tourism in your own country rules) to Amsterdam and managing to get myself volunteered for tournament support, I had no time to paint at all this weekend. Luckily I got started on a lot of miniatures last week. This gave me plenty of half finished material to make Monday night productive. I focused on the Warlock Bombardier as I need him this Wednesday and the dice gods hate unpainted miniatures. I picked Mephiston Red as the base for his robe. Going by GW's sample picture I suspect they went for Khorne Red, but I really wanted a brighter color.

I found freehanding triangles to the missile hard, and I can see I have a lot to learn there. Still worth the effort.
I have to admit getting a bit lazy when applying warpstone green colors. I just covered anything associated with warpstone with left over paints on my wet pallet. That meant a base of (contaminated) Caliban Green, a first layer of P3 Iosan Green followed by P3 Necrotite Green. I finished it up with a bit of VGC Livery Geen and went for a small smattering of pure white for the lenses. I just sploshed all colors on quickly and added them wet on wet, without paying much mind to the sculpt underneath. It's warpstone, its supposed to glow. I think the laziness actually paid off, although I should go back in with a bit of Fluo Green or glow in the dark powder to give the warpstone that extra bit of glow.

I always feel intimidated when confronted with Skaven (and Ork and other) machinery. I just went for multiple drybrushes, layering different colors of metal and just a little adding an extra blob of wash here and there.
I expertly managed to mis-assemble the hose leading to the rocket launcher. Luckily this doesn't show up too badly on the painted model. I've taken to adding a glaze of Screamer Pink to Skaven tails and I rather like the effect (good idea stolen from the new Battle Tome). The smoke blowing from the Warlock's backpack was simply painted with VGC Dead White and then covered with a blob of Waywatcher Green glaze. I rubbed the excess off with my thumb while the glaze was still wet. Why bother highlighting with detail brushes when you can finger paint?

Wooosh! You're dead! I've always had a soft spot for the venerable warpfire thrower. Whereas the previous AoS rules made these fantastic monster killers, the latest Skaven army book has rewritten the rules to make them terrifying against infantry (and not so terrifying against monsters). 
Between waiting for varying washes to dry (mostly Nuln and Agrax in select corners of the Warlock's robes to get more contrast) I picked up another half finished model. This is a second generation warpfire thrower and I hated it when it came out, ordering the older ones instead. I'm happy to this day with that decision as I have a reasonably impressive collection of 'ancient' warpfire throwers. But lately I've started to appreciate the slightly cartoony oversized weapons of second era Skaven, so I've been picking up what I can (if the price is reasonable (these models are not made out of pure gold e-bay people!)). This is one of two I have and I declare it finished. The other one is still naked gold white metal.

Bring out your horde! Ready...steady...squeek! The two teams in the back where painted somewhere between '91 and '93. They form one of the oldest still active parts of my Skaven army.
For those of you interested, here's a march of malevolent history. I'll dub it 'Warpfire Throwers through the ages'. Now to find an excuse (and a forgiving opponent) so I can field the entire lot :)

As you can see from the sidebar I've added an Instagram account to my blog, if I can add you please let me know (figuring this out as I go along). Yes I'm with it, I'm hip...






2 comments:

  1. The Bombardier came out great! The only thing that looks a bit weird are the naked heads of the tiny rats. I can definitely see how the triangles on the rocket can give you a hard time! I guess in theory you'd make a triangle grid like with the regular checker pattern, but having to paint it on a cone definitely complicates matters!

    And as a sidenote, from the first time I saw the bombardier, I've wondered how complicated it would be to convert the rocket launcher into a guitar! The pose looks very fitting for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right about the rat's heads. Never thought about it as I went about painting them like Skaven faces. I guess I'll just claim the presence of warpstone for their condition.

      As for the guitar, this model is indeed begging for a guitar treatment. Now to find a good place for a guitar conversion bit and a second Warlock Bombardier :)

      Delete