Tuesday, July 16, 2019

A lone plastic orc

Not all painting projects need to be massive. This lone plastic orc orruk rolled off of a shelf as I was cleaning out the shed. I suspect it has been gathering grime and dust since 1993. I vaguely recall selling of a small lot of these, keeping this one because painting a single monopose orc is fun (while painting a regiment slightly less so).

I've got a new semi-photobooth set up at home, making it even easier to snap some pictures of my models. Now to add to my collection of terrain.

One of the joys of older models is the lack of detail. This orc orruk has no pouches, amulets, teeth necklaces, earrings, bird skulls or other small distractions dangling on him. It speeds up painting a lot and to be honest I don't need that much detail on my rank and file, I just want to slap a reasonable paint job on them. Please don't get me started on the army of buckle fetishists called the Kharadron Overlords (I still need to paint these at some point).

I added some white to the Dawnstone to give the black tunic a bit of extra contrast. 
I airbrushed the skin on this particular orc orruk using VGA Goblin Green first and then adding a bit of VGA Escorpena Green to leftover paint in the pot. I washed the skin Athonian Camoshade and used some pure VGA Escorpena Green to highlight his face. Quite a lot of work went into his eyes, but they only really show up when you look at him from the bottom up. Ah well, its the thought that counts. I used VMA Nato Black for the tunic, highlighting it with GW Dawnstone. The metals have been covered with VGA Steel, the gold started as Scale Color Decayed Metal and the boots GW Dryad Bark. I used some Agrax to darken these down and then highlighted the steel edges with GW Ironbreaker and the gold with GW Gehenna's Gold. To make the steel look a bit more interesting I applied some sparring splotches of GW Fuegan Orange Shade and GW Druchii Purple Shade in the recesses. So there he is, ready to pick a fight he'll most likely lose in the end on some battlefield near me.

Next up, a slightly bigger project :)

No comments:

Post a Comment