Wednesday, October 2, 2019

In come the other Madboyz

Oh dear, I got so carried away with other things, I actually missed the deadline for the painting competition I entered. A day late I did however finish the other two ancient Ork Madboyz I pledged to paint. A day late, or thirty years late? You decide ;)

Who you tryin' ta mess with ese? Don't you know I'm loco?

Deadline or not, I did actually finish three more models, and I started of Orctober with three orcs painted on day one. Painting these was a real joy, especially as I knew it would only be three. Normally Orks (Orcs and Orruks) tend to be painted in large mobs. These clog up the paint station and slowly chip away at your motivation (unlike Skaven who just gnaw away at that). With these three I took my time to give them check-patterns on their sleeves and in one case on a Shoota. One early conclusion: I should think up some painting tricks to make guns look more interesting. For now I mostly stuck with grey metallics and bronze tones (and interesting washes). As with the first Madboy I used Baneblade Brown as the base color for the green skin. I built it up to Nurgling Green and tied it all together with a Geen Tone by Army Painter.

Painting classic mesh armor is a lot of fun. It does require enthusiastic but guided applications of wash.
The back plates feature the stylized mushroom signifying that these are Madboyz. I planned to paint all three more or less the same on a Squig Orange base, but I picked orange for the dual-wielding orcs mesh vest as well. I opted to invert the color scheme on his backplate, he's just crazy when it comes to that ;). All in all these models are amazing examples of classic GW design. They have so much character that they tell a story all by themselves. Despite missing the deadline, I'm very happy to have finished them. Having a nice coat of paint on a model is so much better than having it languishing on the leadpile.

Do I need more ancient orks in my life?
Having painted that mesh armor makes me wonder how hard it is to get (the models) that used to be sold in the Space Ork Raiders box pictured above (image stolen from Stuff of Legends). Maybe I should add that to my ambition list to acquire as a Christmas gift (from me to me). First order of business though, up my output to slightly higher levels (its only a hobby, but still...).

5 comments:

  1. Ancient orks are good orks! If you fancy a spot of converting, you might go take a look at the conversions of contemporary orks into retro orks on Death of a Rubricist. Probably cheaper than going the whole retro route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and what a wonderful blog you've pointed out. I'm going to follow along those lines for semi-ancients I think.

      Delete
    2. Your wallet might not thank you if you start going down some of his other roads!

      Delete
  2. Love them, the more earthly colours really suit them and makes them look proper mad rather than just drunk or clowny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, and thanks for motivating me to paint these up. They'd been lingering in a half painted state for way too long.

      Delete