Monday, September 28, 2020

Lumineth Realm Lords Light of Eltharion

Between work and my oldest turning five and having his first party, I've had a bit of a busy month. Still in the background I am painting a number of different project. One of those are the new High Elves Lumineth Realm Lords. I am not entirely on board with the humongous horn-helmets of other troops. But the spearmen, cavalry and archers look amazing. As does the floating armor called the Light of Eltharion. I decided to ignore the painting example in the book and try something new (for me at least): a galaxy style cloak. 

I forgot to paint the scabbard when I took the picture, but remedied that at a later point (I just painted a few bits black(ish) and picked out a few details in gold to be honest).
I painted the cloak following a number of different tutorials (that all had more or less the same message). First undercoat black, then spray white nebulous areas onto the cloak. Follow up with very well-thinned layers of blue (two shades) and Magenta followed by pink. Instead of carefully freehanding starshaped dots I chose the lazy painter's way and simply mounted a splatter cap on my airbrush and carefully sprayed on the star patterns. With the cloak in place, the rest of the model was just a matter of blocking in.

I started out trying to shade grey/white feathers on his helmet with some watered down blue wash. It did not go as planned, but I'm rather satisfied with the look, so I'll just pretend it was my plan all along *insert evil genius laugh here*.

 I decided to go for a bright metallic armor. I like metallic armor on elves. White makes it all look slightly too future warfare for me. I painted the flowing pennants behind the helmet orange as I intend to use orange as the standing color for my entire (future planned) army. As you can see by the base I used the new flocking mastery I picked up by building the Townscape to take diverge from my usual scrubby badlands look. All in all it was quite a joy to paint this miniature. 

Lets finish up with one shot of The Light of Eltharion in a bit of terrain.




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The galaxy cloak is a great touch, and really adds to the whole "magic/ghost/god" thing he has got going on.

    I wish these new high elves were more in keeping with the old ones, but this is by far the best of the figures, and am really glad to see that you did it up so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. The reason GW chose a Milka Cow aesthetic is beyond me. Then I realized I filed (almost) all the horns off my Chaos Warriors as well and realized I might make something of these Elves/Aelves/Lumineth Realm Lords yet.

      I'll be assembling the riders and spearmen soon (going by the sprues I suspect they will fit in really well with my older stuff). I also have high hopes for the new archers by the way, interesting designs.

      Aside from that I have big plans for the floating wizard with the mega-horns, the guys with orc-like horns on their helmets and the silly cow god. But that's for (much) later (around the time I look up their proper names ;).

      As for Teclis, his mount needs a different head. Going by his statistics he's the plastic equivalent of the unfriend option on Facebook. Ah never mind, I still have Nagash on sprue somewhere so that never stopped me before ;) (Now to get a classic metal version of him...)

      Delete
    2. To be fair, most of the Age of Sigmar stuff is really too much for me, even when it is technically well done... just too much fantasy ;)

      Give me poor brave men with glorified sticks wearing slippers, I say! (and Colin Dixon dwarves)

      Delete
    3. Poor brave men with glorified sticks wearing slippers, now there's army I could get behind as well. As for Colin Dixon dwarves, they're the great unifier :) No one can mislike Colin Dixon dwarves. The only bad thing I can say about those is that I have way too few of them :)

      Delete