Thursday, May 20, 2021

Classic Nagash shuffles into my collection

Earlier this year (actually Christmas last year) I finally assembled and painted the new Nagash model. As I mentioned in the previous post the classic model was high on my wish list. Apparently I have a genie stuck in a lamp somewhere around my paint station as classic Nagash made its way to me through a second hand site at a reasonable price rather sooner than expected. Now I had a real challenge: giving a model named 'the ugliest model ever made' a paint job that would make him look like a proper villain. Well there's no accounting for good taste, but I think I succeeded, and (as usual when I paint a model I don't really like) I like him now (as a model, not as a monstrous necromantic deity). 

Classic Nagash is out about the town...

One of the easiest mistakes to make is thinking classic Nagash is a 25mm base size model. He's not. He used to be on a 40mm square, I've fitted him on a 50mm round. The model is completely metal (as in made out of metal). I think he can be placed at the end of the all metal warmachines and monsters era. The version I got had a very old and scruffy looking chaos black basecoat. I stripped it off, removed all glue residue (almost all) and snapped a quick picture for the blog (yeah I  actually remembered to snap pictures, miracles do occur).

Late nineties all metal monsters, the end of an era.

I used a picture of the original launch paint job to figure out how to assemble Nagash and I'm a bit worried I twisted his torso slightly too far. Then again I like the pose, so I can live with that. When you search the internet for ugliest model you tend to find Nagash at the top of the list. I think his grinning skull could've been a bit more menacing, but I also suspect its the typical internet echo effect. If someone screams it loudly enough, it gets repeated and the 'smart' algorithms make it true. On the other hand: the bright and happy colors of the nineties and the lord of all necromancers do not really go well together, so that may have caused a bit of extra trouble there. 

I wonder, how did that summoning spell go?

I actually had to paint Nagash twice. on the first attempt I went for a green robe. As I wanted to try painting fabric without using a wash I opted for Kabalite Green, holding Incubi Darkness in reserve for shadows. It turned out horrible. Kabalite Green, especially if you lighten it with white, becomes way too bright. I stripped the model again and used Dark Reaper on my second attempt. I added white to Dark Reaper for the highlights and black for the shadows. I even spent a glorious hour actually glazing shadows for a change. Should do that again as I think it turned out well.


Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha...

I decided to give the lord of death bone colored armor. After applying a basecoat of Rakarth Flesh followed by some layers and washes to anything bonelike I realized I needed a bit more contrast and color. Not wanting to go too bright I decided on rust for parts of his armor. I used my tried and true airbrush technique to apply rust. After the rust I touched up the bone parts and used a bit of Athonian Camoshade to make the mummified hands look greenish and Gryphone Sepia to make the 'eighties shoulder pads are for beginners'-shoulder pads stand out (even more). I took extra time working on extra contrast on the face and applied a (true to Pratchett) infinity blue effect to Nagash's eyes. The final important decision/step was to color the gemstones. I painted them green to get a bit of extra color on the model (I added shrubs to the base to add even more color).

Warning: messing with the Dragon's Breath can lead to unexpected results!

With the model complete I have to admit I've gotten rather fond of classic Nagash. I think his reputation as an ugly model is quite undeserved and I would proudly slap him on the table if I played Middlehammer. As I'm mostly into AoS (and brining a single Nagash is quite rude enough as is) I'm not sure if he'll ever leave the display case. I do like the size boost the newer model has gotten, especially as he's a (representation of) the god of death. I doesn't matter if I can't get the old model on the table. He will have a proud spot in the front ranks in the display case and I have too many undead anyway. Now (hoping my genie is listening) on to find an affordable differently abled champion of Khorne. I'm sure one will pop up at some point and I need him in my life  :) 

10 comments:

  1. I like him, as you didn't paint him in shrouds of black and drowned in stygian layers of nuln oil, I'm surprised by the details. Reward yourself with more skaven, you've done Nagash proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More Skaven? Oooh this is a reward I'll gladly take :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is the best version of Carnival Float Nagash I've ever seen. I like the blue in particular. Bonus points for the charm of making from Excalibur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm lways overjoyed when I can work the classics into my blog.

      Delete
  3. When I see this model, the thought “ugliest” is the last thing I think of. Great job brining him to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, its always a lot of fun to restore old models.

      Delete
  4. Looks really good! I had the boy back in the 90s and never really saw what all the "worst model" ever as about............I'm guessing Orion just gets overlooked??

    Anyway, I've still got my Nagash and this is making it tempting to strip and repaint him in a way fitting to my current style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah both Orion and classic Alarielle should go on my 'want for a reasonable price' list. As to your classic Nagash: go for it, there's a lot of satisfaction to be had from restoring old models in your collection.

      Delete
    2. Well, I've been restoring my 90s undead back to (un)life, so I'm certain that Nagash will get his treatment at some point

      Delete
    3. Nice, I've just added your blog to my reading list. Will you be posting some undead soon? Always excited to see more painted bones :)

      Delete