Saturday, May 29, 2021

Finished my first Stormcast unit and it belongs to...drumroll...the Sigmar's Children Stormhost

Stormcast are the face of Age of Sigmar and I've had a lot of trouble with them from their release. Not the  regularly encountered 'they are the faceless face that killed my hobby' sort of trouble but the 'how do I paint these properly kind. I found this three year old post documenting my search. Short version of my troubles: painting them gold does not work for me, black makes them fit in a bit too well with my Undead and Skaven and Stegadon Blue made them look too much like science fiction warriors. In the end it took a bit of cynical Scifi theft to get my own Stormhost and pick my colors. I proudly present a unit of liberators from: Sigmar's Children.

I had a lot of fun experimenting with paint techniques on these guys, one of them was using blue to paint shadows (in stead of adding a wash). 

Stop me if you've heard this backstory before but Sigmar's Children form a Stormhost that strive for absolute perfection. They celebrate their victories before the battle takes place and proudly fall in line behind their Lord Celestant who's known as The Phoenician. I can't see this failing at any point in the future ;). 

The leopard skin cloak came out quite nicely but the robes on the Liberator Prime gave me trouble. I painted these white, nicely blended (if I say so myself) from grey and it looked unfinished. In the end I repainted them with Stegadon Scale (as a nod to my previous choice in Stormhost). I think it was a painful but wise decision. I also think this caption is way too long...

On a slightly more serious note I tried to get a bit more of a fantasy vibe going with my poor Stormcast. I added a cloak (and gave leopard spots a go), added some free hanging chainmail and painted battle damage to the shields. I also went through great lengths to add a banner. After all: what is a fantasy unit without a banner? Another old school trick I've used on these models is black lining. It turns out that this - more than brazenly pink armor - really helps sell the stormcast (at least to my eyes). And (I almost forgot) I used some old Chaos Warrior hammes to add a bit of variety to their weapons (or is that foreshadowing?). 

This was the only unpainted Rat Ogor I had left. Should I go out and buy more or rejoice in finishing a unit?

This Rat Ogre Ogor here is completely unrelated to the Liberators above (for now). It sat half painted in my windows sill so long I took pity on it and gave it a quick paint job on a Saturday morning (To be honest I put it on the table unpainted and felt guilty enough about that to prioritize a paint job). I tried another new found technique that sounds obvious when you type it: adding lighter colors where the light hit. This greatly increase the contrast for the skin and I'm rather chuffed with the results. 

Yes more Skeletons! I can hear my collection of Necromancers high fiving from the display case. 

To finish up this post: here's another bunch that won't be looking at me with angry dead eyes (at least not from the paint station). This is a unit of 40 skeleton warriors that I managed to repurpose from a mystery bag I found a while back. I gave these a very simple paint job with an oil wash but then the project stalled, waiting for me to paint spear shafts and shields. This has been resolved now. I opted for simple red shields with a lot of weathering for contrast, I suspect watching too many Blanchitsu videos inspired me to go for a bright red contrast. The banner is a free hand on metal foil. I was all set to apply decals to it, but then thought 'just paint a free hand you lazy #@#$#' and I think the end result is the better for it. With that said I've cleared up a back log of finished painting jobs. Lets move on to the next one now.



4 comments:

  1. I think these Stormcast might have been reforged too many times.. I have a bad feeling. teehee. Not sure how I feel about that bubblegum pink explosion, they'll never get lost in a huge battle scrum, that spotty cloak is nice.

    Yay a rat ogre, if you're asking do you need more.. then you need more, that's a sign you should probably buy another rat ogre two pack, then you can unleash the full furry fury of Clan Moulder's monstrous managerie.. what better way to impress other clans and solicit future business.

    Great job on those skeletons, decades later and they still look good, those shields really do pop. Freehand banner, bonus points. what do you think of those new armoured skeletons for the Soulblight wave of releases, I quite like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubblegum Explosion is the name of my New Wave Death Metal cover band ;) As to clan Moulder I mostly need one or two extra Hell Pit Abominations to give Buddy (the one I have) some backup. I just don't really feel like getting three similar looking abominations. Maybe I should look into some alternatives of equal size.

    The new wave of undead GW released is just astounding. I love the new skeletons but I'm also in awe of the vampires and those fur headed, dour looking Kislev type nightmare guys (mental note: look up names Merijn). A pity the release of Cursed City was apparently...wait for it....cursed (har, har). I was planning to get that box and go wild with it. Now I'm mostly sitting on my hobby cash as the orcs in AoS 3.0 also look too good to miss (and there's more Stormcast to paint in interesting colors too ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think painting the storm cast as Sigmar’s Children is absolutely brilliant, and the paint job is perfect! Bravo on getting a lot done lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'll ascribe part of the production to the miracle of a lockdown :)

      Delete