This weekend I had slightly too much fun throwing undirected energy at a whole bunch of projects. While working on about forty Plague Monks, a few warmachines, ten Wolf Rats, a bunch of space ships and some other random stuff I decided I really should finish something. Even if only to create some space on my paint station. I opted to go for these 3D-printed Poisoned Wind Globadiers/Battle Alchemists/Skryre Acolytes.
|Is this the local rave? We're completely geared up to dance until the police break it up.|
|These poisoned wind globes cannot possibly be healthy.|
After a bit of trial and error I decided to keep the paint scheme simple. Deep red robes and brown masks. After the basic colors where applied (and highlighted) I painted the globes with some standard greens I use for Skaven warpstone (Caliban Green, Moot Green, Livery Green). After this part was finished, I remembered how nice the white globe with a glob of fluo paint worked on my recent Ral-Partha Undead Lord. I decided to kick that method up a notch on these Skaven, so I sprayed Liquitex White ink around the green globes to lay a basic foundation for OSL (Object Source Lighting). After the white I sprayed thin Escorpina Green (a very light yellow/green bij Vallejo) on top of it. When this dried, I had a reasonable amount of OSL going on. 'What will happen if I brush a layer of Green Fluo paint on top of this? ', I wondered. So I tried. Well, on the one hand I may have gone over the top there. On the other hand, they will stand out on a battlefield :D.
|Die, die, die manling!|
Not quite satisfied with only having five finished models to show for it after lots of painting over the weekend, I picked up this cheeky assassin. I bought him second hand a while ago, only to discover on arrival his price was very low because he was missing a hand. Luckily I had a plastic hand in my bitsbox so I could fix him right up. Since then I've been using him to practice ways to airbrush highlights on a black cloak (it's been grey, purple, green, and a few other variant colors over the past months).
|Painting nice looking black is one of those true wargaming challenges I'll keep working on until I've mastered it (whereas learning the rules is a challenge beyond my skills, I just give up ;).|
I think the current layer of grey on top of the black is a bit of leftover Warpfiend Grey in my airbrush, but I'm not quite sure to be honest. Well it was fun practicing highlights. I added a bit of extra shadow to the inside of his cape by using black there. I also practiced feathering Nuln Oil from the recesses on the topside of the cape. He'll make a nice addition to my collection and I think the little killer will be quite happy he longer has to suffer the ignominy of being a 'black paint testing model'. With that I'll finish up this post. Back to the mass painting and a rather overambitious 3D printing project (more on that if it doesn't end in tears).