Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Call me crazy? Wait until you hear the Omnissiah rant!

Update more often is starting to sound like 'paint all my models before getting more'. In other words: crazy ideas that have no place in the hobby ;). Speaking of crazy ideas, I thought it might be fun to write about this mad project while large chunks of it are still rolling of the printer. Rolling? More like slowly sauntering towards completion. Let's get this crazy train rolling (queue Ozzy Osbourne

Quick! Start chanting to the Omissiah! Another Warlord is about to walk!!!

As a quick recap, last year in a moment of extreme insanity I printed a Warhound Titan unsing a 3D-printer with a very small print volume (102.4 x 57.6 x 165 mm). It took weeks to print, a weekend to paint, and only seconds for mr. Gravity to destroy it. It still functions as - very - eye catching terrain, so no complaints there. In the meantime I've gotten a second printer with a larger print volume (298 x 164 x 300 mm). I really wanted it because on acquiring my first printer I rather quickly got my hands on STL files for a Warlord titan and a Thunderhawk gunship. My attempts at the Thuderhawk failed rather miserably with the small printer. On seeing the amounts of cuts needed to make the Warlord, I abandoned the project. 

I can't quite get over the amount of detail the rather run of the mill 3D printers I own manage to print. 

Enough background bla, bla. I quite recently re-printed a Warhound titan. This time using the skills I learned (i.e. the mistakes and blunders I collected) printing the first one. It came out looking better and I used about one third of the resin of the first version (and cheaper resin too :D). While assembling the parts I started wondering how much time and effort the Warlord would taken. One thing led to another and before I knew it, I had printed the head. According to the Rules of Madness (stored somewhere off in the webway) I had to continue.

Sometime a stupid link says more than a silly caption. This link seems appropriate here.

Skip ahead a lot of printing and I had feet and legs. I could also send this cheeky picture to a friend who responded to the photo of the heads with 'It doesn't look much bigger, are you sure it's a titan?'

At this point I needed a reference file to check out which bit most likely went where. Also (for those of you wondering) I made the holes in the print files because I hollowed these parts out. The holes allow cleaning fluid on the inside of the print, to take off all uncured resin. That stops the model from leaking paint destroying gunk or exploding at a later point in time. 

Skip ahead a few more days. For those of you wondering, each part need anywhere between 4 and 12 hours to print. The worst offenders so far are the upper legs, but as I'm writing the center part of the right shield generator shoulder is being printed, and it will probably take closer to 13 hours. 

There are these magic moments in model building where a lot of random bits and bobs suddenly start forming an actual model. This was one of those moments. That door is just so cool (and it's also on the modern epic scale Warlord titans by GW). 

I think I've commented a few times on my decided lack of patience. It came to the fore here. I had to see what I was making. So when the final bits of the torso where finished I decided to call the shield generators a separate thing, giving me ample excuse to apply glue (and a jeweler's saw, because a lot of resin calibration helped most things fit, but not all things). 

Knock, kock who's there. Der Kommissar. (I'll never stop spawning superfluous links (and now my commissar has his own theme song).

My devout chanting of canticles to the Omnissiah quickly attracted attention of the local commissariat. I think mr. Power Axe approves of my construction. 

The top arch was actually too large for the build volume of my large printer. I had to cut it in two with software before printing. 

With the torso assembled as far as it would go, I decided to see if I could get the legs in some sort of shape as well. 

Oh dear I've made that stupid ZZ-top joke a bit higher up in this article, didn't I?

I spent a few joyful minutes supergluing toes and armor plates to the feet (and sticking my fingers together for the millionth time (I never knew there was a special ceremony and a prize (more superglue), but I do wonder how the people from the zap-a-gap gained entry to my house (the fumes from glue are healthy, no? (and enough nonsensical twatter))). To be honest, on positioning the legs I had to call my wife for assistance as there was no way I could keep everything in position and apply superglue. 

This thing is silly big. I have no clue where to store it (not on a rickety plank, I've already learned that lesson).

It all worked out so far and (being impatient) I fitted the torso onto the legs without giving the glue enough time to dry. Luckily it all held. It'll be a number of days before I'm done printing the rest of this model. I've decided to focus on printing the entire 'skeleton' first and printing the armor plates when the skeleton stands. There are a lot of armor plates. Many times many. Ah well, all in good fun, it'll give me time to slap fresh paint on 'Phoenix' the Warhound titan in the back. I'll throw up more updates as the resin coagulates. 

On a completely unrelated side note: does anyone have some inspiring links or other references showing interesting takes on Iron Warriors? I dig the silver and the hazard striping, but it all gets very metallic, very fast and I can't seem to find many (any) creative additions to the theme. I'd be much obliged for some inspiration there as I plan on adding some of these cantankerous Space Marines in my collection (check out the metal guy staring at you from between the Warhound's legs for a small preview).

5 comments:

  1. Well, thank you for reminding me of the existence of Falco, for the first time in about thirty-five years. The video for Rock Me Amadeus reminds me a lot of that old 40k game, Confrontation...

    That is an absolutely colossal model! Well done on getting it to stick together. Just store it carefully. As for the Iron Warriors, there's an old metal conversion of an IW daemon prince in an ancient White Dwarf, where they've blended metal into flesh in a very cool way. I think the WD has a skaven on the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I'm always happy to remind people of Falco. Rock me Amadeus is an awesome song. I had to check quickly and it seems there's five years between Confrontation and Falco's masterpiece, although I suspect John Blanche was already quite busy entrenching the entire wigs and baroque aesthetic in Warhammer before Confrontation hit White Dwarf. Come to think of it, should we call the current over the top design GW's Rococo period? Sure sounds better than the 'Red period' Games Workshop went through in the late nineties.

      The model is colossal, assuming it nothing catastrophic goes wrong in the coming weeks (it snapped of at the ankles under its own weight this morning) it'll probably end up decorating my home office. I forgot to water the plants, so there is shelf space available :).

      Thanks for the WD tip. I think I found it (number 275 with a Tomb King on the cover). There's an impressive and inspiring 'Eavy Metal Masterclass there that will help. Also the term 'Iron Warrior Daemon Prince' in Google yield more interesting results than plain 'Iron Warrior'.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure what GW's current period will be remembered as, but "Rococo" sounds about right. "Just plain odd" would also work for me: some of the ideas for Age of Sigmar are really peculiar, and often not in a really good way.

      That is an enormous model - it'll probably end up about the size of a small child. Less messy, though. Just be careful that the shelf it ends up on is suitably reinforced!

      That Eavy Metal guide is pretty good. I'm always impressed by how they blended metal into flesh on that model: it always seems very hard to mix metallics with flesh shades. I find that metal on miniatures can get a bit boring to look at unless it's well-shaded, so I've avoided Iron Warriors for that reason. But they certainly can look good.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that hardly deserves to be called "miniature" at this point! Be sure to give it a safety belt when you put it on the shelf...

    Hard to do better than Apologist's Iron Warriors.

    He even has a painting guide: here

    Be careful though, or next thing we know you will be printing up a demi-legion for the War of the False Primarch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, those are nicely painted Iron Warriors (and the blog around them is very interesting too).

      Titanic Safety Belt sounds like the name of a progressive rock band :) I'll keep it in mind though :)

      Delete