Monday, May 29, 2023

After all this pining, I finally have a deciduous Warhammer forest

Five years ago I took a bunch of railroad pine trees I'd kept in a jar and stuck them to bases to make a pine forest. I had an excellent time making those tree bases and I've been using them for both gaming and backdrop purposes. While this was all well and good, I really wanted to add some deciduous trees to my collection, but the ones made for the railroad hobby didn't work for me (too expensive and not quite to scale). As those of you following along with my ramblings for the past months have probably guessed: my 3D-printer came to the rescue.

"In the sheltering shade of the forest, a screamingly drunk Goblin King and the path under his bare feet, The Elvenpath"

After checking around all the different printable trees online, I settled on a good looking collection labeled 'DEAD TREES'. Figuring that is not dead which can eternal lie, I printed the entire set, fixed the prints on MDF bases and used some reindeer moss based necromancy to return them to life. Fhtagn!

I painted the Goblin King a while back, it's a 3D-print designed by Avatars of War

I undercoated the trees and bases with my staple Vallejo German Grey primer and then went to town  with a large make-up brush to drybrush them in greys, greens and whites. After the paint had time to dry I switched to my lazy mode paint and used Games Workshop Contrast Skeleton Horde for the basic brownish look of the trees. I applied patches of Garaghak's Sewer (dark brown) and Militarum Green (dark green) to the wet contrast layer and mixed them on the trees. Lets call it contrast blending. The bases themselves (and accidental bottom bits of the trees) were covered with Vallejo Dark Earth paste (were would I be without it). 

To my surprise the hardest part of this build turned out to be sticking the moss to the tree tops. That had to be done in layers, allowing glue to (sort of) dry. Attempts at shortcuts all ended with horrid clumpy messes. 

After the paint dried I got a bit worried because my bases looked like ugly brown lumps (with a hint of green). Luckily applying the different colors of reindeer moss (with PVA) and a nice fat layer of static grass (mix of all kinds of greens) helped break the monotony. I took a bunch of (3D-printed) mushrooms I painted months ago and stuck them in likely places for mushrooms. Then I sealed the thick layer of grass and the moss with watered down PVA applied through a (cheap) plant sprayer. I have to admit I'm really exited about the end product. The mushrooms help make the forest come to life. The cheeky goblin in the center does his best to stay alive, but seeing the two Wood Elves in the back approaching, I'm afraid his joy will be short lived ;). 



8 comments:

  1. They're great. I've been thinking about making similar woods myself. Unfortunately I don't have a 3d printer so I'll have to make them from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, building trees from scratch is fun too, have you tried the wire twisting method? Aside from that I think Woodland Scenics has some plastic tree boles to get started with.

      Delete
  2. Cheeky goblin, at least it wasnt eaten by the forest dragon. Lovely trees, espcially like the photo with Glam the wardancer appearing from a shady nook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Let's not forget that Glam can be a bit of a git too, this will not end well for the gobbo's.

      Delete
  3. They look very good. The mushrooms really set the trees off well. It's quite hard to paint trees so that they don't look boring, but you've definitely achieved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's quite a challenge to move away from tree-brown (that doesn't look tree-like at all :). I'm planning to add some white trees with red or magenta foliage to make the forest even more interesting, but I'll have to find a crazy supplier of reindeer moss first.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic looking trees! They put those railroad hobby trees to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Wargamers putting model railroaders to shame with scenery is not something you hear every day :D.

      Delete