Thursday, May 9, 2024

Dwarf Gyrocopters join the throng

I believe that the odds of arriving late increase with your proximity to work or school. In the same vein: the less you have to paint to finish an army, the greater the chance it'll never get done (yes there's a Catch 22 there ;). With that in mind, I forced myself to finish the final two Gyrocopters I needed to complete my Dwarven throng. Well okay, I painted three, because for some odd reason I printed three of the things.

Hojotoho! Hojotoho!

To be honest, I would've preferred to paint a couple of the ancient Gyrocopters that look like planks nailed together holding a stove. It is the Gyrocopter I dreamed of owning when I spotted it in White Dwarf, but never got around to buying. Unfortunately I can't find any second hand model I can afford or 3D-printable STL files that look nice and do them justice. In the end I settled for the a 3D-printed Gyrocopter design inspired by the more modern flying bathtub version. To be honest, I rather like this design too, it just doesn't have that wonderful dopamine spike nostalgia gets me.

I'm planning to paint some mushroom forest terrain later on this year. So perhaps the small fungi in the back there will get a lot of happy not so little friends.

As much as I wanted to finish the models, I have to admit my heart wasn't fully into painting them. It was more a 'sit down and finish this army'-drive. This resulted in multiple attempts to cut corners with very lazy washes, followed by grumbling repaints of ruined surfaces. In the end I think I trippled the workload because I kept repainting the same surface, wiping out all my airbrushed blues in the process. Ah well, I also learned that adding a gold face to a mostly copper vehicle is a bad idea that I will not repeat. It just looks off. Having said all that: the army is finished. I followed up the shots of these three with some army shots I'll add to the blog later. I'm also contemplating adding a battle report of my first game a few weeks back. Mostly because it was rather funny and educational. We'll see if I keep finding time to blog again :)

6 comments:

  1. Ah, gyrocopters. I've 'fond' memories of facing the original ones and my opponent humming Ride of the Valkyries.
    But seriously, they do look nice, though I agree, the originals are nicer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I wonder if any of us would have known Wagner music if not for mr. Coppola :)

      Delete
  2. I like them! They stand out great with that blue! Looking forward to seeing the assembled force!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The entire lot is coming up somewhere today :D

      Delete
  3. Cool kopters, those look like they blong with those newer 'funfair fiberglass bubblebomber' designs, but much better. The blue is delicious with the gold, you've found that sweet colour combo.

    I agree with you on the style of gyrobombers, they were perfect and charming before the reinvention, instead of the ugly chunky brick they could have simply made a plank an rotorblade gyrocoptor in plastic, a whole squadron would have used less plastic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from looks, it would've given the Engineers more places to kick while shaking their heads and mumbling about the shoddy work of those young, flying whippersnappers. I love Dwarves.

      Delete