Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Shadespire Steelheart's Champions in Anvils of the Heldenhammer colors

I'm rather busy with actual work so I have to keep today's update quick and short. By the same token I seem to be in a bit of hobby overdrive and I fear that if I don't post these now, they will be pushed into the 'to be posted queue'. That one usually ends up on 'never posted' avenue. As I've cracked and ordered Necromunda, I suspect more painting will be in the near future. So without further ado, I've painted the three Stormcast Eternals from the Shadespire set.

Steelheart and friends stand ready to do something in Shadespire (I have not read the manual yet). 

I've opted for the black armor of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer, taking a small creative liberty with the loincloth. I picked white as I think the contrast helps cover up my still not quite there 'painting black' skill (it's my white whale and I've decided to just keep at it until I'm satisfied). Aside from that what an amazing set of miniatures these are to paint! Nice detail (especially for push-fit models) and the bases are gorgeous. Looking at my own pictures is rather humbling to see my carefully applied 'edge' highlights blown up to gigantic proportions on my computer screen. It looks as if I fingerpaint instead of using brushes and makes the Golden Daemon/Eavy Metal work that much more impressive (as if it needed that). Ah well, at least I can take some pride in the face of mr. Steelheart (although I don't think I'll even master painting pupils).

As it is actually autumn outside the rain is pretty much a constant, making miniature photography a bit more difficult. 
I approached the bases with the intent of adding subtle color to the grey (aside from the autumn leaves) and picked a version of the same approach I took with the Ironjaws Megaboss. This time I put interesting colors in the airbrush (instead of using leftovers) and sprayed thinned down colors on the grey bases. The rest of Shadespire is up next (brilliant concept to keep te model count fixed and small). The five Khorne-guys have jumped ahead of the painting queue (overtaking a large number of Orruks and Trollocs). If I can finish these chaps I might actually get a chance to try and play Shadespire. I've heard good things about it (damn the no-unpainted principles I occasionally still cling to). If only I had more time so I could build some pieces of Shadespire themed terrain....

4 comments:

  1. Awesome job. I really like the scheme colour. Those minis are wonderful sculpted. Finally I gave out and I have new sigmarite units and blood reavers. Last week I bought the Hammerhall Boxed set. Age of sigmar really caught me in his evil web, jajajaja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's insidious I say! ;) Look forward to seeing what you make with them.

      Delete
  2. Great figures, and well painted too. Hopefully even with your busy life and frantic hobbying, you still keep us up to date with your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will do my best (and with the Holidays coming up I should find the time to do some serious hobbying).

      Delete