Sunday, January 27, 2019

Gob-Lobber restored and painted

On New Year's Day I was lucky enough to spot this Gob-Lobber being offered second hand at a reasonable price. Aside from my Mighty Fortress project I've been working on and off at restoring this war machine to its full glory (or at least as full as I can manage). I like a lot of modern miniatures GW puts out, but as far as dwarves go nothing beats their late eighties and (very) early nineties work.

Who knew dwarves could be so cruel?

This wonderfully insane six man dwarf catapult fires goblins tied in nets. Aside from that cruel but vengeful twist to the dwarves (almost) everything that makes these guys lovable is present on this diorama disguised as a war machine. We have the cook roasting meat on a spit. You wouldn't want to fight hungry after all. And there's the dwarf in the back happily smoking his pipe whilst guarding a captive goblin (by sitting on it). The only thing missing here are a few barrels of ale. Too bad I've run out of Renedra barrels.

That is not a happy goblin right there.
I took a bit of extra care basing this model, combining some cobblestones made with a Green Stuff World texture roller and an lot of Vallejo Dark Earth Paste. I combined static flock and grass tufts to get a more oldhammery feel. I also added some extra flowers from the Gamer's Grass to round off the diorama.

One of the wonderful details on this model (that I promptly did nothing with): the arm of the catapult is shaped like a dwarf head with its mouth open. It even has teeth (currently covered by the goblin).
All in all this was a nice model to work on between projects and it will most definitively get a place of honor in one of my display cases. The only regretful thing is that there are no Age of Sigmar rules for this war machine. I would love to take it onto the field one day. On the other had most of the dwarves I own are still in a box, awaiting modeling and painting, so there is plenty of time. Next up, a lot more work on the Mighty Fortress (and some side projects as always...).

5 comments:

  1. Classic model! I've faced one of these on the field more than once back in the day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have quite a nasty effect on a goblinoid army if memory serves.

      Delete
  2. Love it!

    You could always use it as a stone thrower. In a more permissive gaming environment, you could add two crew and have it cause morale issues to goblins it hits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll have to try it out sometime, maybe as a simple grudge thrower. But I'll have to paint some extra dwarves first (and considering I've somehow managed to surround myself with sneaky Eldar...ah this hobby :)

      Delete
  3. That sounds like an interesting conversion. If you find those pictures, I'd love a link.

    ReplyDelete