Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Finished my Nighthaunt (army)

My Nighthaunt army is finished. I had to keep focus over the course of this weekend and Monday night (and lost it on a few side projects), but I've managed it. This occasion marks one of the scarce moments I can say I painted every model I bought for an army (excepting one, but  the second Lord Executioner was part of a discount set and bought as conversion fodder so he doesn't count). Now this is what I call a nice start for the new year. Let's open up with a model that came out rather well due to a happy little accident.

Blood for the Blood God? I think not!

I was quite unsure what to do with the mystical mist coming from the Lord Executioner's axe. As I had already used a blood effect on Kurdoss Valentian I decided this would be one of the special models in the army with a red accent using my favorite blood recipe. As I got completely carried away with the blood effect, the accent became a puddle. The happy little accident part of this is that the dark blood at the base makes the entire model seem to float more. I'm very happy with him. Having tested this monster on the battlefield I can also confirm he rather deserves the bad-ass look the bloody axe gives him.

Not pictured: ghostly bearer of the coconuts.
Not strictly part of the 2000 points matched play list I used to try this army out, I still had to finish this mounted Knight of Shrouds properly. I spent rather an agonizingly long time wondering what to do with the horse's skin. Keeping it translucent would make the knight blend with his horse. Painting the skin would be an awful job as rider and mount can only be assembled in one go (please deliver us from snap-fit). In the end I decided to brush on Incubi Darkness as I hadn't used this nice looking green-black for quite some time. I carefully airbrushed layers of Kabalite Green and Sybarite Green on top of it and decided it looked good enough for my taste. Then I went in and attempted to restore most of the bone color that got accidental hits by overspray.

You will be haunted by three spirits. No wait...ten spirits. Oh dear, you are in trouble mr. S.
Next up where the Bladegheist Revenants. I kept most of their paint scheme in line with the rest of my army, a (half painted) test game with them showed they carried enough punch to warrant a special look. I decided to try a technique the local GW proprietor told me about: red-on-white. I painted the blades black and then used an airbrush to first paint the larger part VMA Pale Grey followed by VGA Dead White at the tip. I waited until it was dry and then sprayed a thinned down layer of VGA Bloody Red on top of that. It does what it is supposed to: look very,very red.

Painting rank and file is not a glorious job, but it is a necessary activity.
The final group to be finished are numbers 31-40 for the Chainrasp Horde. With these ten I can now field two twenty ghost units needed in most of the battalions featuring Chainrasp. I am not ashamed to admit that I'm happy to have finished these models. To put it in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay terms: painting forty models to a reasonable tabletop standard takes a Hard (-20) Discipline test. I did use an audio book to get a +10 to get through it though.

Did I say ten spirits? I may have miscalculated...
To finish up here's another shot of Kurdoss (because I can't get enough of him). Notice the Spirit Hosts to his right. I've redone their bases to better fit in with the rest of the army. I've also repainted the Knight of Shroud's arms, but that was not interesting enough to warrant another picture (and it is a bit nippy outside so I was happy to finish photographing my models). To conclude here is a shot of my entire army (and a note to self that I should practice making better army group shots because I admit it is not a very good picture (you should've seen the rejects ;)).

To do: find a new way to photograph armies.
Now for some raunchy naked lead and wishlisting. Next up on my painting table are multiple Oldhammer projects. Let's do a bit of foreshadowing (and cross fingers I don't lose attention and switch before completing these).

I found a (sort off) affordable Gob Lobber this Christmas! 

Bought in 1988 and unpainted for thirty years, high time to give the Mighty Fortress got some love.
I got my hands on more metal plague monks and have been working on them in half baked mode between painting Nighthaunt. Please don't mention the swordsmen in the back.
I saw a picture of painted Plaguebearers over on the Oldhammer group and suddenly had to paint a group of my own in the same colors. Don't look in the background, that is a very hush hush superduper secret project...

8 comments:

  1. That's an impressive looking army by any standard, definitely a nice start for the year! I think it would take me at least a year to paint an army like that, and you're painting 80-ish models in a month? I'm in awe.. Congrats for the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! But to be fair I did have a two week holiday in that period (and a very nice audio book).

      Delete
  2. Nice work on that army and plenty of exciting stuff coming up soon.

    Particularly that Goblobber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Goblobber has been on my wishlist so long, it is quite a joyful experience to finally paint it.

      Delete
  3. My friend, you did a hell of a job on those minis. What an impressive army. Even if you won't paint anything the rest of the year, you have to be proud of yourself.
    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I don't think I'll store my brushes just yet :)

      Delete
  4. That is a seriously good looking army. That snap-fit plea is one I agree with - bought the mounted knight of shrouds as conversion fodder and hadn't thought about it being snap fit. Especially as I'd had a "conversions bothersome" comment to a friend when he'd been admiring the technicality of snap fits.

    Still.............one tasty nighthaunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Come to think of it, it is technically rather clever to make snap-fit miniatures. Bit still a lot of bother if you want to go your own way pasting miniatures together.

      Delete