My happiness over having a 28mm scale Warhound titan was rather short lived. A few days back while drinking my morning coffee I heard a rather ominous crashing sound from the hobby room. As I walked over to investigate, I found my new titan in quite a lot of pieces, spread out over the floor. Insert your own graphic language here, pretend it is in Dutch and you'll have a reasonably accurate facsimile of my morning. Long story short, I have two pieces of awesome terrain :)One of the downsides of 3D printed resin is its brittleness. It might have to do with my curing setting or my resin, but small parts (like spears) can break off easily. Mostly it is quite quickly fixed with some superglue, but a fallen titan is an order of magnitude more work. Lets check out the poor war machine after I picked up (most of) the pieces.
|Not pictured: hot (manly) tears covering the bits.|
As I went along picking things up I thought I might just glue it all back together again. Even though there would be serious damage to some of the paint work, for instance the leg plate. For those of you wondering, I put it on its own shelf in my hobby zone. Turned out this cheap shelf was level, but had not fully clickede onto its internal fixing system. After two weeks of hanging properly it snapped in place, causing the shelf to click forward about half a millimeter, turning it into a small ramp that made the titan slide and fall to the floor.
|In all modesty I have to say those blends on the scroll do hold up to very close-up photography.|
In the end it turned out the plate above fixed up reasonably well. But the hydraulic systems where in pieces and snapped off at points where I couldn't fix them again. Bits of the legs where out of joint, making it impossible to get them into the proper position again and (worst of all) all the breaks made it impossible for the legs to support the rather heavy upper torso. All in all fixing the titan turned out to be quite impossible.
|All sadness over my titan's demise aside, playing around with icelandic moss and PVA on a well painted model is fun on its own. And its not something I'd spontaneously do.|
After an appropriate period of grumping around, I took what was left of the titan, fixed it onto MDF bases (hey I based it in the end!) and decided to make it into one of those overgrown warmachines. I have to admit the temptation was there to go for a 'blasted wasteland' style base. But adding greens is just so much more satisfying.
|Perhaps I should've added some rust and damage to the titan before covering it in jungle growth, but I think as a scene it does hold up.|
On the upshot I might just use it more as terrain than as a functional war machine.
|Should I go for a 'that still only counts as one'here? Nah I'll refrain.|
And as a second upshot this cheeky Eldar Farseer had his day. Probably saw it coming too :). I don't know when I'll be printing a replacement, but I'm quite sure I will be printing a replacement for this titan. Let's file the rest of this fiasco under the 'happy little accident' category of the hobby.
Wow.. awesome base for your Farseer, you spend way too much on basing materials.ReplyDelete
On a sad note, ouch.. have a virtual gamer hug .. at least you can be the envy of your peers with the coolest 40k terrain.
Cheers and you're right that Farseer needed a cooler base and this is it ;)Delete
Yikes...well, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Great looking terrain and a conversation piece for years to come. Probably good it didn't happen to a purchased titan? I'm assuming they are much cheaper to print, once you get past the cost of the printer of course. Sorry for your loss!ReplyDelete
Thanks, I'm mostly over it. Cost wise its slightly more expensive than the average GW terrain piece (and a lot more creative ;).Delete
I had this happen to one of my favorite GIJoe toys as a kid - The Tomahawk helicopter. I can feel your pain indeed. However I also turned tragedy into terrain and have ample memories of my joe's turning their crash into a make-shift base. It's always about how you pick up the pieces in the end that matters :)ReplyDelete
Also, funny note: I've been collecting miscasts from my buddy's 3D printing adventures including some titan parts. This weekend I made a pile of junk as terrain. I'll post that up in the future... just as soon as it gets some paint.
I'd almost start quoting Kipling there ;) I'll keep an eye on you blog, I always love pile of junk style terrain (it tends to be the most useful terrain on the battlefield).Delete
Ouch, even makes me want to learn swears in Dutch just to vent appropriately.ReplyDelete
However, that being said, you did turn the wreckage into something amazing, and as you say more useful for an actual game. (although that paint is very pristine for something so grown over!)
Cheers, I'd heartily recommend Dutch swearing as THE way to go, but I suspect I'm slightly biased on that account ;).Delete
Ah shame about the model, it looked really good. Kudos to you for turning a pile of lemons into some really good lemonade though!ReplyDelete
Thanks, in its current state it actually fits the display cabinets and now serves to distract from some of my less well painted Eldar miniatures.Delete
Oh no! Clearly 3D printing has its limits, but I didn't think it would so brittle. On the plus side, it does look fantastic in its current form, and depending on the sort of games you play it might actually see more time on the table this way. And of course, it gives you an excuse to acquire another one...ReplyDelete
You are quite right on all counts :)Delete