Monday, October 3, 2022

Hungry, hungry Ogre characters

Quite recently I purchased a bunch of Ogre stl's by Avatar's of War. Excepting their version of the Ogre Kingdom Khan (still in his basic paint layers) I've finished a Butcher, Slaughtermaster and an Icebrow Hunter. All these have inspired me to get some new plastics by GW too, setting me well on course to having an Ogre Kingdom/Beastclaw Raiders army in the near future*. Here's a group shot.

* barring distraction by other projects (oh, oh!) 

Did anyone say 'lunchtime'? No? No matter, we'll have lunch anyway.

Ogres, Ogors, Whatevors (as adolescents would say while rolling their eyes) provide quite a charming break from painting regular 28mm models. They have huge amounts of exposed, flabby skin. I had a blast experimenting with skin tones, finally settling on a rather pinkish color. I went to town on this basic layer, having fun experimenting with purple glazes. They add more shadow to the skin and I think it worked out quite nicely. Let's start with the last of the three Ogres Ogors I painted, an Ogor Butcher.

I smell halfling behind that door. Do you have any idea how good halfling carpaccio tastes? Please open the door.

The Ogre Ogor butcher looks wonderfully menacing and manages to up the disgust to eleven with his finger up his nose. Not while handling food! I painted his apron white and accidentally succeeded in getting a very good looking, crisp white. The last time white came out that well, I was painting a Nurgle model. As crisp white didn't quite do for a disgusting ogre, I used my blood recipe to stain the apron (and the cleaver (and the cutting tools hanging from his belly plate (Blood for the Great Maw!))).

Bringing a packed lunch is always a smart move.

For what has to be the first time in my life, I actually managed to show some restraint when it came to the 'assorted bits of human flesh'-basket hanging from his back adding strategic amounts of blood to the gore. I'm very chuffed with this 'charming' model and even though the GW version is interesting too, I think this one fits in better with their line. 

Anyone in for a taste of soup? The recipe I followed today is called 'surprise'. The ingredients are surprised humanoids.

The first Ogre I printed and painted was this wonderfully diabolical Slaughtermaster. He's happily stirring a cauldron of things you don't want to eat. The GW version drags a large cauldron along behind him, so the model has a larger than normal base. As I felt like slavisly following a basing guid pdf, I  mounted my model on the proper base. To fill that out I added an extra bucket of gribbly bits to the back and stuck on a Gnobblar I had lying around. It works. I rather like that the model doesn't have an odd looking metal jaw and the larger base implies he's a real menace.

Kill and attack my dearies!

The third Ogre in the lot is an Icebrow Hunter. I had a blast painting the skull that doubles as a quiver. I had less fun re-attaching the bolt on his crossbow that kept snapping off while painting. In the end I pinned it so thoroughly it might just survive the apocalypse ;). The four sabretooth tigers (also by Avatar's of War) will function as Frost Sabres. I wanted to try painting leopard spots on actual cat-like creatures for a change and was happy to find out that sabretooth tigers might just have had them (excuse enough to go for it without resorting to the 'it's a magical realm' excuse for a change). To be quite honest I'm not very happy with how they turned out, but I guess I'll learn to live with them (I don't feel like painting more big cats in the near future).

Look who dropped in for desert.

So lets finish up with another group shot. As a final note let me add that if you ever worry about the piles of lead, plastic and resin getting too high, you should definitively invest in a 3D-printer. Within no time at all the stack of home printed models will utterly eclipse your collection of unpainted other stuff, thereby reducing the worry (that's the theory I'm going with ;). On a final, final note, sorry for not posting more stuff. I have two Stargrave game reports and a Bolt Action game I really feel like writing about, but I also had a rather horrendous case of Satisfactory addiction to get over. With a giant (excessively inefficient) machine city built I think I'll be back to painting, gaming and writing for the near future (at least until another update is released). 

5 comments:

  1. You aren't happy with the tigers? I thought they are very eye catching and really like what you did with the spots! The whole group looks really good. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers :) I think I may have set my aspirations a bit too high when it came to the spots (they are slightly bigger than they should be). But you are right, the color did come out quite nicely. I should give them a second look.

      Delete
  2. A Maze Ing!
    Lovely painting and lovely models. I had some of the original Ogres which I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have a handful of ancient Goodwin ogres and trolls I was planning to paint up along with this project. But they are a bit on the small side next to the newer stuff so I'll be saving them for a separate occasion. They are too nice to just slap color on after all.

      Delete
    2. I've still got some of the original, pre slotta base, Golfag's Ogres, as well as the slotta based resculpts

      Delete