Monday, September 20, 2021

Radukar the Wolf and his Korsagi Nightguard in full color

The past weeks I've been happily splattering away at the models in the Cursed City box. Next to be finished - after the heroes - are Radukar the Wolf and his Korsagi Nightguard. Radukar is the main villain in the story and the Nightguard is his personal bodyguard made up of Zombie Ogors. 

"You there! You can spare a minute to talk about our lord and savior Nagash!"

The central character in the furs is Radukar. He is a former corsair that saved the city he's currently very busy tyrannizing. After breaking a siege by the forces of Khorne he resurrected his Ogre Ogor mercenaries to serve him in perpetuum. With Nagash flipping the Realm of Death's magic field he took over control of the city and turned it into Ulfenguard, the Cursed City that serves as the backdrop of the game. 

A horrendous amount of effort went into making that face look like a face. Then I had to explain to my wife where the face was...Fur caps, they should be outlawed.

I'm still trying to follow along with the paint scheme provided by the 'Eavy Metal team with the box. To get started on this model I watched the Warhammer TV tutorial. I then decided to replace a few steps with my own interpretations. For starters I primed the model black. I then used a brush to paint the fur Ulthuan Grey (that took about three layers). I added a contrast color Apothecary White for the basic shade and then (after it dried) I followed up with Drakenhof Nightshade and even Nuln oil in select locations that needed even more shade. I drybrushed the fur with Ulthuan Grey and then with Dead White (Vallejo). I finished off by layering in more white with a size 0 brush. 

Belly plate, harem pants, a bare chest and a 40mm base. Looks like someone's trying to emulate an Ogor. 

The skin started out as Pallid Wych Flesh, made lighter by adding Dead White (very fitting for a vampire). I washed with Reikland Flesh Shade, finishing off by adding a few edge highlights to the scars. I spent a lot of time on Radukar's face, adding subtle glazes of purple to get more shadows in.  The face is a nightmare to discern, hidden in the fur cap (its better visible one picture up). I actually used the picture of the 'Eavy Metal painted model in the assembly instructions as a reference point to help me figure out how to get anywhere. All in all I'm quite chuffed with the results. The pants started out as Khorne Red. I used Squiq Orange to add highlights there and washed the pants with Blood Angels Red contrast paint to tie it all together. 

I'm quite happy how the mix of traditional drybrushing and layering combined with some contrast work has made the fur look. 

The final major part was Radukar's coat. I used Incubi Darkness as the base color and blended Sybarite Green in to get a pretty dark green effect. I'm not very good at wet blending so the coat gave me a wonderful opportunity to play around. The sword was painted metallic and then rusted using Rust (formerly by Modelmates). I added silver edges to give the appearance of sharpness to the blade. 

The expressions on these undead Ogors are just priceless. I painted their mouths Screamer pink, using Rakhart Flesh to pick ou the individual teeth. 

The two dead Ogors have longcoats painted Khorne Red (just like their boss' pants). I wanted the red to look worn and washed out so (after washing Agrax) I added Vallejo Medium Sea Grey to the red to get the highlights. I had a blast painting the black. I've been working on 'getting better at black' for a few years now and I think its starting to show. The skin was painted using Straken Green with added grey for highlights and given a wash of Athonian Camoshade to finish it up. I spent a lot of time on the weapons. I painted them with a rather dark Vallejo Metal Color (Steel), washed with brown (Agrax) and then used a bright silver (Runefang Steel) to dot in a lot of lines. I think that works quite nicely.  

I've recently taken to striping highlights on (instead of straight lines only) and I really rather like the effect. 

I should've waited until this picture to talk about the red I guess :) Ah well, lets add that I listened to the Cursed City audiobook. That was a lot of fun and it offers a nice prequal to the actual game. Right now I'm in book five of the Siege of Terra. This series (in eight parts if I'm to believe the internet) has the energy and excitement of the first four novels in the Horus Heresy series so I'm quite thoroughly hooked on that one. Also kudo's to GW for giving the Legio Ignatum good old eighties punk as formalwear :). On towards the rest of the cast of undead villains before the new Die Hard models arrive. Good times :D. 

5 comments:

  1. I think you've made a very good job of these guys. The fur doesn't really help the models, as it makes the faces quite hard to work out, but that's the sculptors' fault. The zombies' green faces stand out well, and look good with the faded red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree on the fur, although I love the old Kislev vibe it gives of. The helmets on the ogres remind me of the old Orc boarboys and Goblin wolfriders. I think Iron Claw miniatures had a real...passion...for adding fur lined helmets to their greenskins.

      Delete
  2. They look fantastic! The fur looks so good. I may need to borrow some of these techniques whenever I get to a few hairy beasts floating around the desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dead or alive the curse of endless hunger haunts ogres, lets hope when they rot down to skeletal ogres that they arent so peckish. I like all their dapper hats, Radukar like all good vampire villians clearly thinks he's someone.. dolled up to the nines, showing off his favourite garments.

    Nice minis, been a long time since GW necromancers animated corpses that werent humans. Did I find an easter egg? the rat on the ogre's base looks like a rat from the HeroQuest furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was rather happy when Die Hard released its mixed skeletons and mixed zombie units. Still have to finish painting the dead orc and goblin though. As to the Easter egg, you might be onto something. I'm away from my paint station at this moment, but the Heroquest set is at hand (I've been working on them on and off). I'll check tonight. Cursed City is full of rats as well, so it might also be coincidence.

      Delete