This weekend I used a lot of hobby time to start 'halfway through' projects. More on that as (if) they are finished. One project I actually build, painted and finished over the course of two days was Luciana the Unwavering. Through sheer perfection reckoned the greatest swordmaster in the Realms as well as a stalwart companion that would never, ever, betray her friends (as opposed to old Lucius the Betrayer of course)...Others may know her as Yndrasta the Celestial Spear, but not in my stormhost!
|I could've glued the stairs to one of those new chariots and made jokes about the Bluth family, but I didn't. I could have though...|
|Leopard print? Check! Badass pose? Check! Hair metal riffs playing as she descends? You betcha!|
Animal prints...sorry animal pelts will be one of the recurring themes on this stormhost. After a reasonably successful experiment on a Liberator's (green stuffed) cloak I couldn't wait to paint more leopard spots. I have to admit I'm beyond satisfied with the spots on this cloak (and the yellow color of the cloak itself). I base coated the cloak with Zandri Dust, then (carefully as the rest of the model was already painted) airbrushed a layer of Flayed One Flesh onto the Zandri Dust. When this was dry I airbrushed Tau Light Ochre on the center of the cloak to get that animal yellow look. Checking pictures of animal skins online, I painted the inside of the cloak Zandri Dust (it was on my palette) and then extremely carefully airbrushed Stonewall Grey (Vallejo Game Air) on top. Not sure if this is some kind of modern rubber non-slip coating on pelts or just the way animal pelts dry up in the wild (so to speak (assuming a wild tanner)), but they seem to be mostly grey on the underside.
I followed (most of) this stone tutorial on Realm of Plastic to paint the stone wall and switched to greens (with the same tutorial) for the rotten tree. It was the first time I seriously stipled anything besides rust and I have to say I like the technique's result. Last, but not least, I cut of the snap fit clips on the base of the model (after all the nice words about snap-fit above, it had to happen of course). I then angled the model upwards by placing a leftover bit of sprue beneaht the front side of the stairs (so to speak). I found Luciana to be leaning down to much for my taste. Now she's looking up, shouting her 'loyalty' to the heavens. I filled the gap with (a hell of) a lot of Vallejo Dark Earth Paste. To be honest I no longer know how to base without that stuff :).
|Looking back at my post, I decided I had to add a close-up of my leopard spots. Just couldn't resist.|