Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Warhammer Age of Sigmar app on the desktop

Wouldn't it be nice to have the Age of Sigmar app available on the desktop? I thought it would, but unfortunately right now Games Workshop focuses its development on Apple and Android (and thank you GW for not going Apple exclusive!). Luckily development for Android solves the problem.

Through emulation the Warhammer Age of Sigmar app is available on your desktop.

The trick here is to use an Android emulator, I picked the Nox App Player because its free and the install instructions did not give me headaches (it works in my Windows 10 install and it is also available for Mac). Just download, click like a maniac and start it up. After setup you can connect it to your own Google account. From that point you can use the Play Store in Nox to install the Warhammer Age of Sigmar app.

Here's Nox pretending to be a tablet, it changes its size according to instructions from the app you start.
Because you are linked to your Google account, any purchase you made within the AoS app will also be available on the desktop. So your General's Handbook points costs for instance are available.

Click and drag with you mouse instead of pointing and dragging with your fingers.
The one thing that does not work is making an army list on your desktop and transferring it to your tablet or phone. You might want to try a subscription to Azyr for that, I can't say for sure as I don't have it yet.

I know I should be working, but does the chariot cause mortal wounds? Ah no, well back to work then....
All in all I like the combination of Nox with the Warhammer AoS app on my desktop. I can quickly look up some stats (it is a great distraction while I should be working) and it helps while building lists (for which I still use a homebrew Excel sheet).

No comments:

Post a Comment